Friday, June 30, 2017

June 30th Rant, from TubaPlayingProf

It's June 30th!

Time for the annual flood of emails from the various offices of the admin state with huge announcements that will most likely change the way we operate here at Ambitious State—or at the

very least that will introduce several new admin positions and staff and/or cost the school huge amounts of money.

Our ten-month contract ends today.

So do I need to detail to you the reasons I have come to dread emails that arrive on June 30th? Especially after four pm? Oh NO: this year it falls on a Friday!

Not much of a rant, I know.  I hope your inbox is empty!

--TubaPlayingProf

3 comments:

  1. We get summers off in Friday at my full-time gig, so I escaped a lot of this. At the state institution where I adjunct, however, the brunt of it seemed to be "Farewell redundant minor administrators #113, 187, 218, 299, 332, 456..." I look forward to the Monday morning "Welcome replacement redundant administrator...."

    ReplyDelete
  2. And if you're a Met fan, this always distracts from academic fiscal flurries: http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/its-july-1-and-that-means-bobby-bonilla-is-getting-paid-by-the-mets-today/

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just got a reminder, *on* the 30th, that what is usually the end-of-month payday comes on the first business day of the new month in July -- and a suggestion that we plan ahead to deal with any recurring bills. Fortunately I'd already checked pay dates and made sure there was enough in my account to cover my mortgage.

    I think our administration is more likely to do the really sneaky stuff between approximately July 21st and August 14th (when the maximum number of 9-month faculty are not checking their email).

    The creation of additional administrators (and increasingly grand and complex titles for existing administrators) is, of course, ongoing.

    ReplyDelete