Monday, July 10, 2017

In Which Bella Submits an Update, and Contemplates Empathy

Hello to my friends in the pasture!  This past February, I shared with you all my darling Boy's troubles, and I wanted to update you, as so many of you were kind and sympathetic and caring.

First, let me say that I am in no way sure of anything.  This latest experience in parenting has taught me, more than any other, that I know nothing with any certainty.  But here is my update, interspersed with some thoughts about empathy (and surety).  I feel it in my mind as a list, and who am I to go against a gut feeling. So here goes:


  • 1.  My boy has gone through ups and downs.  He ended up having to withdraw from all his classes, but since we waited so long to do it he had failed all his classes. No hope for the W.  My son is a convincing liar---it is a "gift" if you can call such a thing that.  He had us convinced he was doing better, and as such, his final decline before he finally came home resulted in a last, desperate suicidal call to me and admit all to me (and then kill himself---which he did not do, and maybe never really intended to, but he thought he would).  I love my kid, with my whole life's force----but I wished, sometimes this past year, he would sometimes reach out to his Dad?  Haha (a little humor never hurts, right?).  What a painful, painful thing, to go through a call like that with him once again.  This time he called just as I was getting on the highway to go home, in horrible traffic, having left late.  He had told me he was doing better. I had spent Spring Break and the following week with him, helping him complete his work, talking to him, planning with him.  But it did not work---and he was in despair, having to tell me this.  Poor, poor boy.  So, we talked through the rush hour traffic, he did not kill himself, and I bought a ticket to bring him home in late April.
  • 2.  As we had had him committed (twice), and as he had been (finally) seeing both a therapist and a psychologist, it was suggested we apply for a Medical Withdrawal.  Before he left for home, he did so.  And the secretary in the office where such things are filed sneered at him.  Told him that he could not expect to just blow off his classes and get them paid for.  Told him that students who deserved to fail should and would just fail.  When he called me (during class----I was in a state and had my phone on and took the call, having a standby plan in place just in case) to tell me this, I told him 'Don't worry honey bun!  It's just a Hail Mary pass anyway---who cares' and he seemed to feel better.  And I seethed, just seethed, at that secretary!  Who the fucking hell was she?  And then, almost simultaneously, I thought---she's just a person who's seen a lot of shysters.  I do think she should be fired (at best) but I also worry that I have been guilty, never of actually saying such things, that much I know, but of allowing my feelings to show if I have judged a student without  being able to guess what they have been going through.
  • 3.  The Boy came home, and went right into an OIP (Outpatient Intensive Therapy Program).  I tell ya, I feel convinced we all could benefit from some OIP!  I took the Boy for a trial run the day before, showing him where to go and where to park and who to talk to.  He was intimidated by how the other patients looked, but after he started we all could tell it was the right thing and the right place for him.
  • 4.  The Boy graduated from his OIP, and is now seeing a therapist thrice weekly and a shrink once monthly, and he is doing So. Much. Better.
  • 5.  He got his Medical Withdrawal!  And that means we got a check in the mail for the total of his tuition!  How crow, was I surprised and grateful.  As it turns out, in order to get that lifted (the Medical Hold that goes into place once a student has been granted a Medical Withdrawal) you need a ton of testimonials from a ton of medical and mental health professionals, and that has kept the Boy moving and participating and going (he really does want to go back---to be successful there).  But also it has been helpful----the U has a great plan and a great and thoughtful idea for what a person needs in order to "get better" (at least to start to get better).  So we are still working on that, but it looks good.


So there is my list.  Among many other things (obviously) this whole experience has made me think about assumptions, and empathy, and surety.  Like this:


  • 1.  I would never, ever have thought one of my kids would end up failing all their classes.  Never.  And it happened.  And on the other side of it, it is not so horrible, and I can see it as just something that can happen.  Yes, we did get the Medical Withdrawal---but he also failed some classes in his first semester, and I'd never have seen that coming, either.  Some things you cannot see coming, and nothing is ever off the table in life.
  • 2. I've had so many students over the years struggle, and fail, and even fail all their classes. And maybe not have a support system in place that was working fast enough to get them into a situation where they could even begin to apply for or qualify for a Medical Withdrawal.  I've tried to help them.  I've (in spite of some of my old posts were I laid in on thick---I swear that was [mostly] just hyperbole) not judged them and treated them with respect.  But have I? In my very assumption that this was something that happened to other people---- I think I did, in some way. I regret that deeply.
  • 3.  I remain angry at the secretary, but I still take it as an abject lesson for myself---NEVER judge a student.  Even if they fit a thousand profiles you've seen before.  We simply do not know what other people are going through, ever.  I never acted like that, but I know those thoughts have gone through my head.  Shame on me.  Who am I and what do I know about another person?
  • 4.  Thank heavens for health insurance!  Mental health coverage!  Where would we be without it?  Oh---we'd have gotten the Boy help, but it would have been  a LOT harder!  And not everyone could have helped their kid if they had no help!
  • ​5.  And I thank everyone who shared that they, too, had gone through a mental health crisis.  So many people shared this with me.  It meant so much.  We all need to tell our stories.  As a society, we need to make mental health problems just ordinary health problems.  The stigma needs to go----I want to work to make this happen.  Feeling comfortable enough to seek mental health care can save your life.  Not feeling comfortable enough to admit he needed it almost cost my son his life.  Somehow, things need to change.


Once again, thank you to all of you who shared your concern and your own stories and comfort.  This is a wonderful community.

--Bella

12 comments:

  1. Absolutely. All the best, Bella.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did good, Bella. Having done both, it's easier to live through than it is to guide our spawn through. I'm happy your boy has a mama like you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update, Bella, and for your very thought-provoking observations. I'm so glad to hear that your son seems to be finding his way. Wishing you and your whole family strength and peace!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just chiming in to add hugs and good wishes for you and your family, Bella, and thank Heaven for good insurance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My little guy has the vocabulary of a kid twice his age, but he was flagged as a struggling reader so he's in summer school. He can't decode. He fakes it. He proudly reads to me but I know he's faking it, but I don't let him know that I know.

    I thought about all of the times I should have asked for help and didn't because I thought my mother would be mad and how I would absolutely never be mad yet I have no way of knowing what he thinks about this.

    He's only 7 but I saw him in my head at 20, looking down with exactly his face, on the floor next to a dorm bed, not quite crying, a few days before finals, not ready, and afraid. Idk what we're supposed to do. Being a parent is the best and worst thing that ever happens. Idk what we're supposed to do. I grabbed him in the middle of cartoons and said "I want you to do well in school but if you come home with straight Fs I still love you forever." Idk what we're supposed to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wombat, this reply gets to the tender heart of it. What a loving, sweet thing for you to have said to your son.

      I have no idea what we are supposed to do as pare

      Delete
    2. I didn't finish!! Here's the rest:

      I have no idea what we are supposed to do as parents. I don't think there is a magic formula we can use to make sure our kids are okay. All we can do is try to make sure they know we love them, and that we want to know them as they change and grow, and that there is no mistake they can make that would ever change that.

      And even that I am not sure is right....

      Delete
    3. Bella, you've been called upon far beyond what most parents have to deal with, and you've risen to the occasion magnificently. I have two children, now in their twenties. They haven't had the rough spots that your son has hit, and I'm certain I wouldn't have held up as well as you have.

      Of course there's no magic formula. All you can do is to do your best with the resources you've got, and—as you say—let them know that you love them forever.

      Delete
  6. So glad to hear he's doing better, Bella. Thanks for the update. And yes, that secretary should be fired (or at least moved to a position where she isn't in a position to do damage to already-fragile students).

    For whatever it's worth, from the perspective of someone who teaches at an institution that sometimes serves as a second (or third, or more) chance school for students who originally got into "better" schools but had some sort of a crisis (as a well as a first chance/choice school for first-generation Americans and/or college-goers), your son's story doesn't sound all that unfamiliar to me. While my students don't go into the details of why they struggled the first time 'round, I teach a fair number of 25-30-year old juniors, especially but not exclusively males, who are on their second or third try at college, and, at least from what I can see, doing much, much better this time. Sometimes it just takes a bit more maturity, and/or a bit more practice learning to cope with whatever brain chemistry fate has dealt us.

    The medical withdrawal program also sounds excellent, both in its generosity in refunding tuition when a student has genuinely been too sick to get up and go to class (they'd do it if he were in a coma or a body cast, right?), and in its rigor in making sure the student is truly ready to return. I don't know all the details of our program, but I suspect that changing to Ws beyond the deadline is possible in such circumstances, but tuition refunds probably aren't. And the lack of the latter probably leads people to keep trying to pass, or at least qualify for an incomplete, well past when it's realistically possible to do so (at least in some cases I've seen, students are pretty clearly lying to themselves as much as others in terms of how serious the problem is, and/or what's still possible for a particular term).

    It also means we don't have the same rigorous standards for returning, and we sometimes get students whose parents and/or counselors think that returning to school will provide structure, or otherwise be therapeutic, when it's pretty clear within a few days of class that the student just isn't ready yet, and also pretty clear that the same student couldn't, for instance, handle a fairly basic job in their current state. Any system that recognizes that going to school full-time is a pretty challenging enterprise, and that one needs to be in decent if not perfect mental shape to do it, strikes me as a positive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Bella: I really like that you start off by saying, "First, let me say that I am in no way sure of anything. This latest experience in parenting has taught me, more than any other, that I know nothing with any certainty."

    Too few people on my campus are able say that.

    And it reminds me of this line from Sherlock Holmes: "While the individual man is an insoluble puzzle, in the aggregate he becomes a mathematical certainty. You can, for example, never foretell what any one man will do, but you can say with precision what an average number will be up to."

    It sounds like the medical withdrawal went as it should have. In my experience, such a withdrawal can happen even if the paperwork for requesting it is not initially filed until well after the semester ends. It's humane, yes, but I suspect the development of such mechanisms happened because of economics. Administrators realized that it was beneficial to shift the system in such a way to be more accommodating to students, in order to avoid liability in lawsuits. A single successful $25 million suit against a university that allowed or enabled the suicide of one of its students can be devastating.

    Hang in there, Bella.

    ReplyDelete