Tuesday, July 4, 2017

A playlet with Dr. Jekyll and Prof. Hyde: In which the divide between faculty and administrators is explained

Dr. Jekyll:  Say, Hyde, I have found another illustration of the difference between faculty and administrators.

Prof. Hyde: Do tell.

Dr. Jekyll:  Independence Day is a holiday on our campus as you know.  Yet, I found myself in the office anyway along with a number of my colleagues.

Prof. Hyde:  That sounds like a sickness right there.

Dr. Jekyll:  Yes, I suppose you would know.  As I was saying, I was in the office on Independence Day.  The air conditioning was on its "vacation" setting, meaning that it was just barely tolerable if you weren't moving too fast.

Prof. Hyde:  So, no problem for you then.

Dr. Jekyll:  After a while I acclimated with the help of a fan.  However, when I went to our main office, I noticed quite a difference.  As you remember, all the administrators of our college are in one large suite of offices.  Their office suite was cool and comfortable at its normal air conditioning setting.  And naturally, no administrator was there.

Prof. Hyde:  And you once again found yourself questioning your life choices.

Dr. Jekyll: No more so than you.

4 comments:

  1. With first rate content!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is certainly true of Batshit U.

    Not only would the air conditioning be on full blast, but the rooms (suites?) would be well lit. The lights are on, but nobody's home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really need to learn to take either sweating or shivering as a cue that I should go home from the office already. I'd probably be more likely to do that if I had better internet access at home (which I somehting I could get, but it involves dealing with cable-stringing and phone-company installers and such, so I'm reluctant. Still, as with other things that would make my abode more functional, comfortable, and/or pleasant, I really should).

    The other issue in my campus office is that the motion-detecting light-turner-offers (generally a good thing, of which I am in favor) are apparently not set in a way that recognizes professor-typing-at-computer as a life form of the sort that requires the lights on. So the lights go off periodically, and I've mastered a sweeping hand gesture that, combined with a half-spin in the wheeled office chair, generally convinces the thing that I am not only present but alive and in need of light.

    ReplyDelete