Tuesday, July 18, 2017

a comment about comments

Three things to keep in mind about comments:

1. The recent comments have been genuine and good-natured.  I haven't received any mean emails about them.  The commenters here are such decent, conscientious folks.  But if anybody regrets having made a comment, it seems that most (or all?) commenters are able to delete their own comments.  If you want to delete a comment and are unable to do so, please feel free to email me a note stating unequivocally that you want the comment deleted--I'll do it if I can.

2. Even though a comment might be deleted, it can still live on for a very long time in the Google cache or on archive.org or somewhere else.  That's one good reason to count to ten before clicking "publish."

3. We're all just people (or horses or ducks).  This pasture can be a humbling place.  I'll do my best.  And I continue to appreciate you all.

Sincerely,
Your Real Gosh-darned Moderator

5 comments:

  1. Is this about cookies? Are you trying to nudge me to protect myself? I won't apologize for who I am.

    I am the Wombat.
    And I hold review sessions.
    I bring cookies there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that this comment makes perfect sense to me (even though I apparently missed something, again -- blame lots and lots of student conferencing).

      And I love this place, so I'm very glad no one is sending you mean emails, Zooze, because that would be. . .mean, and also counterproductive, since what can a horse do about people saying regrettable things on the internet anyway?

      Delete
  2. I am genuinely puzzled. I haven't made a comment all week, since I'm getting ready for the eclipse. Besides, how much trouble can comments be, since none of them get posted without going through you, anyway?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have a moment, Frod, I'd love a post on the eclipse (from whatever angle you choose). I'm not precisely in the path of totality, but am planning to travel to a place where I can experience totality (a few days before, since I hate traffic jams). I've never been in a full eclipse before, but did experience an annular one in the courtyard at my grad school (without viewing equipment, so we just looked at the shadows cast by/through the leaves -- pretty cool).

      Delete