Sunday, January 7, 2018

Possibilities, from Compound Cal

10 years ago this week on RYS, this unknown proffie came up with a list of resolutions, all keenly aimed at the start of the new semester. Do any work for you? Or are you so hot you've got your own?
  • I resolve to put my family first this year.
  • I resolve to put my career first this year.
  • I resolve to read more than a week ahead of my students.
  • I resolve to make my students lead more classes from now on.
  • I resolve to get closer to my students, to be their friend and mentor.
  • I resolve to remind myself that I'm there to be a professor, not my students' best friend.
  • I resolve to warm up as a professor. My students will learn better if they like the person who is their leader.
  • I resolve to be OK with not being liked.
  • I resolve to strike a better balance between teaching and writing.
  • I resolve to spend much more time on my research this year, since it's the thing that will help me progress in my career.
  • I resolve to quit worrying about my "career," and just focus on doing a good job.
  • I resolve to put teaching first, since it's the thing I love the most.
  • I resolve to stop making New Year's resolutions.
  • I resolve to stop making New Year's resolutions that are stupid.
  • I resolve to follow at least one of my resolutions this year. Not this one, though!

--Compound Cal

2 comments:

  1. A minor health blip last year means that this year I will focusing on taking better care of myself.

    Going well so far (I started back in November) and it is making a difference. The challenge will be keeping it going at busy / stressful times of year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always make my resolutions in the fall, not at New Years.

    They are always abandoned by October, of course.

    ReplyDelete