Sunday, January 21, 2018

Impostor Syndrome [from Wombat of the Copier]

Years ago I taught upper division classes outside of my specialty.  I got the offer and said "Yeah, I can do that, but you know that's not what I do, right?" and it was great.  I did it for years and loved it then
moved on to another position. 

My whole professional life I've coveted teaching "the" course pertaining to the sub-discipline in which I got my post-graduate degree.

I'm not faculty, I'm an admin, but I was in earshot when it came up that they didn't know who to give it to this year so I just blurted out "Let me do it" before I could think.

They said yes.

I'm glad - ok - no regrets - this is the most exciting thing that has ever happened. 

But... I am being crushed under impostor-syndrome stress.  I didn't have this when it wasn't my field - I said "yeah, not me, but I'll do it" and felt free.  This is actually me, so:

1) why is this so stressful (originally I said "why is this so hard?" and it's not - it's not hard at all - it's right in my wheelhouse - this is my thing)

and

2) what do I do about it? 

--Love, WotC

4 comments:

  1. Remind yourself of the things you do well and focus there first.
    Be future-oriented.
    Know that you have social support.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you into it yet? Probably once you get started you'll realize that you have WAY more to teach than you have time to teach it. I got that way when I finally got my specialization

    Once you hit that point, you realize you're fine - you can't possibly reach the ends of your expertise in the time provided. You're no imposter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There were some obligatory almost place-holder days, but today was the first meaty day and stuff I forgot I knew bubbled up out of my mouth in response to unexpected questions - full and coherent - it was like watching a movie of what I thought I'd be like if I ever got to teach this :)

    ReplyDelete