Saturday, December 14, 2019

end of semester crap, from Krabby Kathy

Another nonspectacular semester has ended, and I am still searching for a nonteaching job, but old age and nondiversity is stacked against me.

Some of the Krabby nonhighlights –

A student asked me if it was too late to revise papers the week before finals.  I have had a revision schedule throughout the semester and announced end dates on Canvas and in class.  This kid has spent the whole semester with the hood of his hooded sweatshirt up, on his phone, with his laptop open, playing games.  I announce in my syllabus that I will ask students to put away their electronics if they are not being used for classwork (unfortunately, I have all material online), so if I walk by a student playing a game, I will say something, but generally I don’t bother since too many students are e-junkies, and they have to have their come to Jesus moment on their own.

I make sure students don’t get points for terrible first drafts, as they could in high school. They have to revise papers for points.  I had a chatty couple who hid in the back, came in late every day, and never revised.  After each paper, I got “I told you I gave you my paper and never got it back” (the paper is on Canvas), “why didn’t I get any points for my paper” (as explained), and finally “I’ve never failed a class before.  No wonder you have such a poor review on Rate My Professor.”   That made my Krappy day!

--Krabby Kathy

1 comment:

  1. With students like #1, when I tell them, "No, and it's in the syllabus," it's becoming increasingly difficult not to grin in Schadenfreude.

    With students like #2, I tell them, "I WEAR THEIR SCORN LIKE A BADGE OF HONOR!" But of course, I have tenure.

    ReplyDelete