Thursday, August 30, 2018

In Which Bella Advises That-a-Boy Greg---and Greg's Dad

I worked in the advising office all summer.  I enjoyed it.  I harbor a secret fantasy to somehow make my way over to the student services side.  As the summer waned, a desperation tainted the air, particularly for students coming in with their parents.  It was during this time that Greg and Greg's Dad came in to see me.

Greg was quiet and let Dad do all the talking for the most part. I gave Greg my FERPA speech, making sure I had his permission to talk about his academic life with his Dad present.  He was amused by this. Then Dad jumped right in.  "Greg is only here to get his GPA back up," Dad explained.  "He's majoring in Manufacturing Engineering at State U.  But he had some trouble with his courses, both at State U and Fancy Pants U, the first place Greg attended, and now he needs to get his GPA up before State U will let him back in."  Greg's Dad had done a lot of homework ahead of our meeting:  "I've looked into the classes you offer that most closely match the manufacturing engineering courses he'll need for State."  He handed me a page on which he had taken copious notes and made a list of courses.  "Here they are---these are the ones he needs."

Greg's dad had picked out courses from our one-year Advanced Manufacturing Program.  We got a huge grant to create it, and it's always full.  Graduates are guaranteed job placement---and they make great money.  I'm considering doing it!  Here's the thing:  none of those courses are offered "piecemeal"----they are very expensive to offer and they are offered only to the people in the year-long program (and are always full).  They are for the sole purpose of providing our state with graduates who can go work in the manufacturing field.  The businesses who need such people here are desperate.

Greg was playing a lot with his phone. He seemed uncomfortable and annoyed with his dad, but he was good-natured about it.  I explained to them both how the manufacturing courses were only for that program, and Dad jumped in, cutting me off "I KNOW THAT!  I READ THE PROGRAM DESCRIPTION!"

I told Greg about the program---how it has 100% job placement, and the salary.  Greg was looking me in the eye, listening.  "NO!" shouted Dad.  "That program is NOT for managers!  Greg is going directly into management!"

At this point, Dad had to take a call.  I pointed out to Greg that his State U program would also be requiring him to take either Macro or Micro Economics.  He had me explain the difference, and he told me he thought Macro would be more interesting.  Dad, still on the phone, heard that sign of interest and shouted "That a Boy, Greg!" thumping the back of Greg's chair.  With Dad still on the phone, I told Greg about how the math required at state was also required in our Manufacturing Program.  Greg told me he liked math, and I told him people in manufacturing had to be great at math nowadays.  I slipped him a flyer about our program.

Dad got off the phone, and we managed to sign Greg up for Macro and his next math class. And I sent them on their way with all the good wishes in the world for That-a-Boy Greg.

--Bella

5 comments:

  1. I hope to goodness Greg can find a way to get into that special program. I bet he'd love it, and as a secondary benefit, it would probably annoy the bejeezus out of his directly-into-management dad.

    (Pro tip, Dad: You rarely go directly into management. It's the kind of thing you work your way up into.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. The ongoing mess that is Brexit was created by people who "went directly into management".

    2. Good on you, Bella. Done right, advising is a tough gig, and needs people not just there for the paycheck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Overprotective parenting is nothing new. When Queen Victoria was a young princess, she was not allowed to speak to an adult or read a book without the permission of her governess.

    I still have difficulty with coming to terms with helicopter parenting. When I was an undergraduate, I would have been embarrassed, to the point of wanting to disappear, if my Dad had followed me around and made my decisions for me like this. Moreover, as someone who was over 30 in the 1960s, my Dad would never have done it. This wasn't one of his many virtues: it simply wouldn't have occurred to him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE advising. I just applied for a transfer to academic advising but I misread the deadline and had to put together a cover letter in the middle of a migraine or I was going to miss it. When I read it in the morning - I realized it sucked ass. Good think I pretty much like the job I already have. It probably would have been better to miss the deadline and try for the next spot - now they'll be like "Oh yeah, Wombat from the chem department - she is like on drugs or crazy or something, shred that and read the next one".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, give in to your urges. Come to the dark side; we have cookies.

    The grass is always greener... I wonder how long I have to keep wading around in the adjunct pool until I can jump in during "Adult Swim."

    ReplyDelete