Wednesday, April 18, 2018

A Break in the action [from Suzy from Square State]

I often have my students break out into groups of 2 or 3 neighbors to discuss a point and then have them report on what they decided, in the middle of a lecture. Rather keeps them on their toes, and is a nice little break from the torture of listening to me talk.

Today I had the Advanced Basketweaving class discussing a particular weave, and as soon as the group work began, two students got up and left the room. As the first returned, I handed him a board marker and requested that he draw his solution on the board. "But I don't know how?!" he answered. "Oh, you left the room so I assumed you already knew how to do this." He got right to work with this neighbor... The second person also got offered the board marker when she returned, and widened her eyes in shock. No, she was absolutely unable to do that. So maybe you should not leave class???

--Suzy from Square State

2 comments:

  1. It's amazing how many students can't sit through a class (my periods are 75 minutes) without having to leave for a few minutes. They have 15 minutes between classes so that should be enough time to go to the bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOOK AT THIS LINEUP OF RECENT POSTERS...even SUZY!!!!

    ReplyDelete