Wednesday, October 18, 2017

College Advice I Wish I’d Taken [nytimes.com]

By Susan Shapiro

I taught my first class at Columbia University’s M.F.A. program this month, and even though I’ve been teaching college writing since 1993, I initially felt a little intimidated by the school’s regal campus. That, and regretful.

I enjoyed going to college at the University of Michigan, an hour from home, but my secret humiliation is: I was the type of mediocre student I now disdain. As a freshman, I cared about my friends, my boyfriend and my poetry. Or, I cared about what my boyfriend thought of my friends, what my friends thought of him, and what they thought of my poetry about him. Here’s what I wish I’d known and done differently. . . .

The whole gosh-darned article:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/17/opinion/college-advice-professor.html

No comments:

Post a Comment