Monday, May 8, 2017

early thirsty for confessions, from Wombat of the Copier

I organize the adjuncts in my department and collect their grades to submit to registrar.  As the semester wraps up I get a lot of e-mail from students requesting grade checks.  I received an e-mail from a student asking me if his class was still going to get to drop the lowest quiz grade "since Professor X didn't give any quizzes until spring break".

I opened Professor X's electronic grade-book and saw grades for every week in February and March.
Not only that, they were artfully distributed across the spectrum from almost passing to high-As.  And there was no correlation between the average for the month of April and the grades as they were trending prior to spring break.  It wasn't an attempt to give effectively the same grades they had earned, while making it look like he'd given a quiz every week - it was a straight up crap-shoot.

Professor X rubs people the wrong way. I prayed this was an attempt by a desperate student to screw Professor X.  Then I got another... and another and another...

Either he faked grades or the students are better at organizing for revenge than they are for forming study groups.

I passed it on to a higher authority, but it made me think of a time I lost a folder with a bunch of quizzes that I'd never recorded in my electronic grade book.  Amazingly, everyone got 100!  So that brings me to my thirsty...

Have you ever lost student work? And what did you do?
A) "what quiz?  that never happened."
B) "100s for everyone!"
C) other...


--WotC

4 comments:

  1. I did (B) with an apology. It was a low-value quiz, so it was hard (for me, if not clear to all the students) to imagine it would make a difference overall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating stuff, Wombat! Will you update us as the situation develops?

    This made me wonder how you would fake grades in this manner, if for some reason you decided that was an appropriate thing to do. Probably just lifting grades from an earlier section would be the best way to come up with the random distribution Wombat describes (though it doesn't answer the question--why?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lost one test, but found it just before I had to tell the student what had happened. (I had graded them sitting on our couch and it had fallen to the side between the couch and a book shelf)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to admit it did happen, and it was 100s for everyone!

    ReplyDelete