Sunday, March 29, 2020

a little baffled [from Moriarty from Midland]

All classes have suddenly become online (or "distance learning" or "distance education").

Then I watched as one of my colleagues declared to the dean, "My students didn't sign up for this shit. I'm going to give all of them at least a 'C' even if they actually fail."  The dean gave no indication that he had any problem with this.

I know there is widespread discussion about making all classes pass/fail this semester.  That's one thing.  But simply refusing to fail any student this semester is a bridge too far.

--Moriarty from Midland

2 comments:

  1. I know I am not as good an instructor in online contexts. And I feel for any students who are forced to deal with me in an online course.
    Having said that, if they don't do the work, they don't get credit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've posted some lectures on our learning management system. It lets me track how much time kids have spent viewing the videos. The vast majority are doing little to nothing. They have nothing else to do and they're just not doing the work yet.

    I'm teaching the intro course in my field and in the fall, I'll be doing a couple of upper level classes. I'm already cringing over what they won't know.

    ReplyDelete