Sunday, February 23, 2020

4 Questions for 2020 NYU MLK Humanitarian Award Winner Deb Willis

"I was an undergraduate student when Dr. King was killed and I will never forget the emptiness I felt going into my class in an attempt to unravel my hurt. I tried to make photographs and tried to listen to music, but I felt then and still feel that my research and writings on photographers who were documenting the movement's activities were crucial to my understanding of visualizing the quest and desires for black people to vote and live in their communities without fear. I spent my entire career retelling their stories in order to show how the civil rights movement transformed my understanding of what it means to love."
          --Deb Willis, University Professor, NYU

Source:

No comments:

Post a Comment