Friday, September 29, 2017

License Plates, Bumper Stickers, etc. -- A Thirsty

While crossing the road to a campus parking garage this week, I noticed that one of the cars stopped at the crosswalk had a license plate listing dual (or perhaps his-and-hers -- or his-and-his, or hers-and-hers) degrees (Ph.D plus other capital-D. professional degree). Seems a bit boastful, but at least they
stopped. 

I'm also rather fond of a bumper sticker on a large white truck, with some pink trimmings, near which I often park (in an area that allows both faculty and student cars): "don't flatter yourself, buster; I'm admiring your truck."

There are also a fair number of political decals of various sorts, some symbols of fraternity/sorority allegiance, the occasional declaration of love for a pet (and/or animals in general), some indications of religious allegiance, and the occasional (blessedly, only occasional) confederate battle flag.  

So, I'm wondering:

Q.  What sorts of vanity license plates, car stickers, and the like do you see around campus? Do the ones on faculty and student cars differ markedly? 



4 comments:

  1. I see lots of the Coexist ones. There is also a Vulcan Science Academy sticker on a student car, and another student car has one that reads "I'm so gay I can't even drive straight" which I am particularly fond of. For a number of years, there was a faculty / staff car with a plate that read HiOffisr, but I haven't seen it for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coexist is pretty common in my neck of the woods, too.

      Also something that a bit of googling tells me is a Star Trek command badge.

      And an equals sign signaling support for marriage equality.

      Delete
  2. I know a computer guru whose license plate reads "CADCAM."

    Frank Drake's license plate reads "N EQLS L."

    I don't own a car. I ride a bicycle into work every day. Considering how everyone grouses about parking, this may be no bad thing.

    Still, the opportunity costs of all those years as a postdoc have imposed this situation on me. They have also ensured that I will never be able to retire. I'll have to die at my desk: a cheery thought, that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a dean around here who must be sick of PhDs looking down at her because she has not one, but TWO sports cars that together are worth over a quarter million dollars. Why do I think it's an insecurity thing? One of her vanity plates includes the letters "EDD" and the other "DR DEAN".

    Congratulations - you beat them without doing research and you can beat them out of a light. Can you do a burnout that spells EdD too?

    ReplyDelete